Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Course Genie Error

This seems to be the first genuine error I've found. I've sent the following mail to the company.

Using Course Genie 2.0.0.0 I'm generating a course and getting this error:

The Document has been Exported as an XML File:lo1 - data representation.xml

End tag 'b' does not match the start tag 'subheading'. Line 01696: />Pos 00026: -------------------------^


There is a problem. The HTML was not generated.

Clearly an error but short of changing the XML by hand how do I fix this?

Thanks,

Tony

I would guess that there is a spurious Word formatting character in the source but I'm not sure how to get rid of it without changing the Course Genie paragraph format.

I'll update this as I hear from the company.

---------- Update 8/3/6 21:21 ---------

Checking the XML and the source Word document I see that the error occurs where I have a bookmark defined in a CG sub-heading. Moving the bookmark to a line of its own fixes the error.

Having found it I'm sure that this is a problem Ted mentioned in his presentation

3 comments:

Loki said...

Hi, I've just received a similar error: End tag 'para' does not match the start tag 'name'. Line 00459: < para align="left" > < hyperlink > < name > < / para >
Pos 00040: ---------------------------------------^

Although for the life of me I can't figure out how to resolve it!

Tony Gurney said...

Loki,

Almost every CG error I've found is caused by too little white space.

Can I suggest going through the document and ensureing that you have lots of extra carriage returns between paragraphs.

Good luck.

Loki said...

Thanks! I finally figured out how to generate it smoothly. One of my hyperlinked pictures had the space above it also linked, once I removed the hyperlink and added it only to the image the stated error disappeared. Only to confound me with another(!) which I cleared up by removing the bold in some tables.

Thanks for the paragraph space suggestion I'll keep that in mind too!